A Day Away + Rustic Kitchen Haul

            




It’s crazy to think that it is almost the first of February (wasn't Christmas literally last month?) I recently just started my last semester at my junior college (exuberant amount of cheers are heard).  In the fall of this year I’ll be transferring to a four year college to finish out my bachelor’s degree in Hospitality Management. I’m absolutely excited! I’m prepared for the next chapter in my life. I excited to meet new people, experience new things, and, of course, learn to cook a little more food along the way. 




A beautiful cast iron skillet I got for $10

Almost being 20 years old, I have been trying to get a collection of kitchenware of sorts put together that when I leave for school (and eventually move out) I’ll have somewhat of a solid grounding. A few weeks ago on MLK Day, the college was closed for the holiday. With this opportunity in hand, my brother and I decided we were going to take the day off and go on a little road trip. We ended up driving to Springfield, which is one of my family’s favorite places to go for a day trip (only about an hour and a half away from where I live). After you get past the blatant corruption, violence, and high taxes, it is a rather nice city.



A cast iron pot (I'm sensing a cast iron theme here) 

            
We had a quick lunch at one of my favorite places called Charlie Parker’s. 

Located in a World War II style Quonset hut, it’s a restaurant trapped in time. It has the flair and decor of a 1950’s diner that serves some of the best food I've ever tasted. From creamy broccoli and cheese soup, to homemade tater tots, and pancakes the size of pizza pans, this place has it all.


A Horseshoe with broccoli and cheese soup. Absolutely amazing! 

What they also serve is a Midwest classic, the Horseshoe.  It’s simple, but irresistible. Perfect for your cheat day. It has everything you're not suppose to have but crave so desperately for. Crispy toast layered with a perfectly seared, juicy hamburger, and topped with homemade tater tots and drizzled with an in-house cheese sauce. It’s a heart-attack waiting it happen, and it’s worth every bite. I want to make my own rendition of the Horseshoe (both breakfast style and regular) on the blog very soon, so look out for that.


Some older white bowls. These just had a lot of character to them. 
   
Anyways, after lunch we found ourselves driving around town and going to a variety of shops. Our last stop was at an old antique mall which my family and I have been going to for years now. It has everything you've ever needed and never wanted. I hadn't been in the store for about over a year (a few months before I got into food photography) so as I was walking through, I kept finding more and more kitchenware I loved. Little fun fact: I’m obsessed with the farmhouse/rustic kitchen style, and this shop had it all, from cast iron skillets, to old bowls, used rolling pins, and cookbooks from the early 1900’s.


A rather old grater that I really got attached to. What a grate find! But will it great fine?

 (My puns are endless!) 

Then after a fun day away. I spent the early evening in the kitchen with Momma Crawford. We made some "Italian Chicken Pasta". It consisted of pan-seared chicken with sauteed zucchini, red and yellow peppers, red onion, and garlic, all topped with a creamy Alfredo sauce. It was seriously amazing! Incredibly depth with flavor from the vegetables to the tenderness of the chicken. 








            
All and all, it was a great day. I had so much fun eating, shopping, and hanging out with the brother. 


"What do you mean no recipe??"

                 No worries friend, more puns and recipes coming next week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE BLOG HAS MOVED!!

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED! Hello, friend.  TermiNatetor Kitchen has officially moved to Wix! to continue reading, please visit  http:/...